At the Walton Family Foundation, we know that conservation solutions that make economic sense are the ones that stand the test of time. We work to achieve lasting change by creating new and unexpected partnerships among conservation, business and community interests to build durable solutions to big problems.
We invest in organizations and programs that pursue lasting conservation solutions for oceans and rivers while also recognizing the role these waters play in the livelihoods of those who live and work nearby. The foundation focuses its environmental giving through two initiatives:
- Freshwater Conservation, in which we work to sustain healthy and resilient communities of both wildlife and people in the Colorado and Mississippi River Basins; and
- Marine Conservation, in which we support initiatives that create economic incentives for sustainable resourcemanagement in some of the world’s most ecologically rich ocean areas, from Indonesia to Ecuador to the Gulf of Mexico.
- We invested over $91 Million in Environment initiatives in 2012.
Our Environment Grantees
- Our grantees are working to protect critical natural resources in a way that helps local communities to thrive. Find a full list of our environment grantees here.
Video: What is Conservationomics?
Our Environment Staff
The Walton Family Foundation environment team brings together years of experience working toward conservation solutions that work for local economies. They blend world-class expertise in science, law and economics with real-world experience on the decks of commercial fishing boats, in corporate negotiations, and on the ground with conservation organizations. Meet the environment team here.
- The foundation and our grantees are working hard to boost environmental quality and economic prosperity. To hear about environment grant announcements, grantee achievements and other news, sign up here.